What are my perceptions of schools?

Since my mom works at the high school that I went to, I often run into my old teachers. When they found out that I was in Education and starting my practicum this semester, each of them got a smile on their face and said "What comes around goes around!".
That nightmare kid you always hear about in classes? Well, that was me. I could never pay attention in class and always found it boring. If my teacher split me and my friends up for talking, we would scream to each other across the classroom until he would kick us out. If I got assigned detention homework of writing an essay about 'why not to talk in class', I would start why students typically should not talk in class and then argue why I am an exception and should be able to.
As opinionated and disruptive as I was in my classes, I secretly valued learning so much and put in 110% in assignments that I thought were worth my time and for teachers that I really felt like cared. Teachers were very influential in my life and I saw them as leaders.
As I grew up, I realized that I am a strong leader and role model to my peers of all ages. I can be very influential and have a strong ability to persuade behaviors, opinions, and others in all ways. I began using this talent to teach. I started as a camp councillor, I was in a supervisor position at my first job, rugby captain, president of the yearbook club, and later became an English-learner tutor and a yoga instructor.
When I think back to schools, I can still remember being that rebellious teen and I still can remember exactly what I felt like then in grade 6/7, even thought it has been over ten years. I remember hating lectures, hating boring social classes and absolutely turning my brain off in most classes. The exception being those influential teachers and lessons they taught us.
I want to be that teacher. I want to grab kid's attention and change their vision. I want to harness that built up energy and potential into passion and inquiry based learning so that my students can go out and change the world.
The artifact attached to this post is from a song of how I perceive schools. I do not want to be a condescending ageist teacher. I want to inspire and lead through example and give kids the tools to become unstoppable with their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment