Empathy with Other Adult Learners

While working with a COP during my Education program, both first and second semester, I have noticed that adult learners have a lot more "special needs" that must be addressed and so there has to be a great level of understanding and empathy. For example, in Caffarelle and Merriam's article they point out all the different issues that adults may come across when trying to engage in adult learning from motivation, test anxiety, pressures from family members, teaching methods being appropriate, and child care problems. I know from my own experience I have dropped out of adult courses for reasons such as I didn't like the teaching methods or I just had higher priorities at that time in my life.


Caffarella, Rosemary, and Merriam, Sharan (2000). Linking the Individual Learner to the Context of Adult Learning in Wilson and Hayes' Handbook of Adult and Continuing Education. Jossey-Bass. San Francisco, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment