When You Assume you Make an "A**" out of "U" and "Me"

As a newer teacher I want to be as honest and straightforward with my class as possible. I want to be in the moment and prepared to answer any question with integrity. That being said, allowing critical reflection to take place in my life in and out of the classroom is crucial. By recognizing and avoiding assumptions I can make my classroom a better place, as pointed out by Brookfield. By not being afraid to voice my opinion, yet educating myself enough to inform students or at least encourage them to look at different sides of a debate I can build a sense of trust in the classroom. It can also ground my emotions as a teacher and allow for greater structure. It also allows for me to act as an example to my class of how to be a functioning, educated adult in a society.



Brookfield, Stephen (1995). Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher. Jossey Bass. San Fransisco. p. 1-27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment